The Finger Lakes Mud Run at Everest Park
Skaneateles Fall Fest Weekend 2013
Skaneateles Artisans from Rochester
Photo courtesy of John Francis McCarthy John D. Barrow Art Gallery is open Thursday & Friday 11 AM – 4 PM. Private tours are available by appointment. Call (315) 685-5135. Visit the Gallery online at www.barrowgallery.org. Skaneateles Historical Society’s Museum at the Creamery is open 1 PM – 4 PM on Friday & Saturday or …
Skaneateles First Friday Highlights Student Artwork
Artwork by Skaneateles middle school students will be featured at shops and restaurants throughout the village during First Friday, held 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 4.
Guests will have an opportunity to meet many of the student artists and learn what inspired their creations.
This month’s celebration, which will kick off Fall Fest, was organized by Kristin Hunt of The Garage Eatz restaurant and Jessica Murphy of the Skaneateles Central School District, with support from Sarah Panzarella of Imagine and Ellen Kluge of Rhubarb Kitchen & Garden.
“The Skaneateles school district has some remarkably talented students,” says Hunt. “We wanted to provide them with an outlet to share their work with the community, while making it possible for shops without easy access to artists to participate in First Friday.
“We tried this in May on a smaller scale, and we had a great turnout—families loved it,” she says. “Going forward, we hope to make it a First Friday tradition.”
Venues hosting student artwork are:
• Imagine, 38 E. Genesee St., which will feature more than a dozen works of art, along with entertainment by the Usual Suspects.
• The Garage Eatz, 28 Jordan St.
• Rhubarb Kitchen & Garden, 59 E. Genesee St.
• Skaneateles Artisans, 3 Fennell St. (under the Old Stone Mill), which will also display fine art and fine craft from artists in the Rochester area, accented by a chocolate tasting by Preliminaires Chocolat.
• Gallery 54, 54 E. Genesee St., which will also feature new work in clay and wood by Lauren Ritchie and Fred Weisskopf in the exhibition “From the Earth,” along with entertainment by singer/songwriter Jane Zell.
• Johnny Angel’s Heavenly Burgers, 22 Jordan St.
• Riddler’s, 4 Jordan St.
• Skaneateles 300, 2 W. Genesee St.
* The Irish Store, 5 Jordan St.
• Creekside Books & Coffee, 35 Fennell St. The Hysterical Fits will perform starting at 7:30 p.m.
• Roland’s, 14 E. Genesee St.
• The White Sleigh… Etc., 24 E. Genesee St.
• Vermont Green Mountain Specialty Co., 50 E. Genesee St.
• Aristocats & Dogs, 62 E. Genesee St.
• Pomodoro, 61 E. Genesee St.
• Grant Jewelers, 88 E. Genesee St.
• Hobby House Toys, 7 Jordan St.
Visitors to Snake Oil Glassworks, 4251 Jordan Road, will see glass pumpkins being made and have an opportunity to select colors and sizes for their own custom-made pumpkins. Meanwhile, the Sherwood Inn will offer spirit tastings by Beak and Skiff.
Local artists who would like to participate in upcoming First Fridays should contact the Skaneateles Area Chamber of Commerce at 685-0552.
For more information on First Friday, go to http://www.skaneateles.com or http://www.facebook.com/SkaneatelesFirstFriday.