The Willard-Case mansion, now home to the Cayuga Museum, was constructed by John Seymour in 1836. Seymour’s failure to pay back taxes resulted in bank ownership of the building from 1839 until 1843, when it was purchased by Sylvester Willard. Willard, his wife Jane Frances Case, two daughters, Georgiana and Carolina, and in-laws Erastus and Mary Case moved to Auburn from Bristol, Connecticut, in that same year. Sylvester Willard was a physician by profession and, with Erastus Case, was part owner of the Oswego Starch Company. Both men carried investments in local banks, railroads, and various industries.
- Page 2 of 2